Department of Allergology
Head of the Department- Tamar Barblishvili
An allergy is an increased response of the human immune system to substances that are usually harmless to a large portion of the population.
Allergens that cause allergies can be household, animal, plant, food, drug, etc.
There is a growing trend of allergic diseases all over the world. Diagnosis of allergen-causing agents is made using Allergopharma test kit K. Also, laboratory ImmunoCap tests on a new generation analyzer Phadia 100.
Immunotherapeutic procedures are carried out for the detection of hypersensitivity to drugs by skin samples,
Various allergic diseases are managed / treated in Acad. Fridon Todua Medical Center, including:
- Allergic rhinitis;
- Bronchial asthma;
- Urticaria (so-called hives);
- Angioedema (Quincke's edema);
- Atopic dermatitis;
- Drug allergy;
- Food allergy;
- Medication allergy;
- Allergy to insect bites and sun.
Testing for the allergy is recommended in case of these symptoms:
- Wheezing, nasal congestion and itching, watery discharge from the nose;
- Redness of the eyes, itching, tears;
- Shortness of breath, tightness in chest,breathing difficulties,cough;
- Swelling of lips, tongue, eyelids, face;
- Abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea;
- Dry, dull, itchy red skin.
For the patients whose allergic complaints are manifested on the part of the respiratory system at certain nosologies, it is important to carry out examinations such as spirometry and exhaled nitric oxide level test.
F. Todua Medical Center is equipped with modern MicroLab Mk8 and NObreath equipment, which allows to conduct the above studies.